Thursday, March 24, 2011

Nature in the City or City in Nature

Nature is present everyday if we become aware that it is there. It could be as simple just by tuning into our senses as we walk to our destinations and witnessing the elements that surround us each day. We believe that nature equals Central Park or the few grassy areas we have here in NYC. As this has been true for me, yesterday became a laboratory to discover more possibilities in the midst of the many raindrops that descended upon us.

I left my apartment without an umbrella or rain “gear” and made my way from uptown to downtown, subway to foot and meeting to meeting with one thing consistent; inviting and including the smells, tastes, touches and sounds of Mother Nature. Usually I would open an umbrella and cover myelf, intending to hide. On this day, I rolled my shoulders blades towards each other, opened my heart toward the sky, head tilted back and tongue out to catch the raindrops on my tongue. I listened to the sounds, inhaled the smell of rain and felt the water drip through my hair. I became one with the elements and honored the moment; my senses heightened, fears melted away as I let go and surrendered.

Whether we are on or off the mat, there can be a sense of freedom and oneness with all things if we make a choice to let go of the mind and expand from our senses. We are always going to have a place to get to and a time to be there but what if we just slowed down for a moment and appreciated the wonderment before us?!?!

"People travel to wonder at the height of mountains, at the vast compass of the ocean; and they pass by themselves without wondering."
-St. Augustine

No comments:

Post a Comment